Thursday, March 24, 2011

Motivation Less

Last nights ride was hard.  I felt good when I got there but having to start hard out of the parking lot to catch the group and then having the pace line start out hard (18-19) on the incline, in a head wind it just killed my legs.  I was having a really hard time catching my breath and I felt really dehydrated.  Thank goodness for some really great friends and hubby that hung back to pick me up and waited for me at the stop sign.  I just don't think that I would have been able to finish all alone.  I was ready to turn around and go back.  At one point I was asked if I wanted to SAG (put my bike in the back of the assistance truck and have him take me back to the shop) but I knew that I didn't want to do that.  I wanted to push through it.  Part of me knew that this was the push that I needed to finish the ride.  At this point we were only 4 to 5 miles in and I had a long way too go.  I got in the middle of a great pace line and we took off again.  I felt great.  P was talking me through and reminding me to drink water the entire time.  I really think that his support is what helped me to finish.  Thank goodness for the tail wind once we turned around.  The added push was what we all needed.

I did go out with the faster group.  I did get dropped.  But I pushed through and made it through my 19 miles.  I feel good about my determination.  Next week will be better for sure.  I know that everyone goes through these little humps.  I have to remind myself that this is beginning of the season (at least it is for me) and I that I have a long way to go to get back into the cycling shape that I was in at the end of last year.  I look forward to that day. 

Tomorrow I will participating in a fun social ride the 3rd annual Bike Park to the Park that the City of Winter Park is hosting.  I just love this event.  It is a lot of fun.  We will see every kind of cyclists there.  Mom's with babies, hard core racers, trikes and recumbents.  The best part is the we are promoting the healthy lifestyle that comes along with the cycling.  What better way to start my Friday than with a bike ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment